Saturday 16 June 2012

Slime Jumper Upgrade

Since my last post, I've been doing things here and there, some more important than others, but yesterday I put more time into improving Slime Jumper to make it more the game I intended from the start. 
So what I've changed are the spawn chances for negative items, so now its easier to lose and harder to get high scores. 
I added tar drops that come down the sides of the walls and when the player grabs one, it acts as armor and absorbs one hit with cleaning products.
There is also a 1-up life orb that will come floating from the bottom of the screen that adds a life to the player when they catch it.

When that was done I still felt like the game didn't have anything that the player was really trying to play for, there was no motivation to play even a little intelligently, you can easily survive keeping your finger pressed on the center of the screen. 
So I removed the lives, and instead now there is a vial on the side of the screen that is filled with "slime-life". A little flame under the vial burns away the players health over time and the only ways to change that is to collect garbage. So depending on the garbage, the more life is recovered.
The tar drops will make life burn away more slowly for a time, 1-ups will refill the vial and I plan on adding combos that change certain player characteristics. So for instance, 3 banana peels could give the player a slippery skin that makes cleaning products bounce off. Or 5 trash balls will make the player temporarily unaffected by cleaning products. And so on...

All-in-all I'm very much more satisfied with the way things are going now. Slime Jumper is improving, finishing up the first of two summer courses this summer. An interview at THQ this Monday!!! Things are looking good indeed. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment