Wednesday 4 July 2012

Things are looking good!

It's been a while since I last posted, since then I changed some game mechanics in Slime Jumper, got my XBox 360 and Kinect from Microsoft and got a job at THQ! :-)

Starting with Slime Jumper, instead of having a "slime boost" mode when you can do some crazy stuff, I instead added counters for the items you catch. When the counters reach 0, you can drag an item specific bomb onto the screen that will cause some stuff to happen (more trash falling, player duplication, etc). Last thing I completed was the dragging gestures of the specific items into the middle of the screen. I had problems with that because tapping and dragging can both be gestures, but it only sees a "tap" if the fingers touches down, doesn't move much and lifts off. But that means that you can hold your finger down, wait for the right time to jump, then lift off and jump. This is not what I wanted, I wanted the tap-jump to occur immediately. This was conflicting with my use of the dragging gestures however. In the end, with some boolean flags I was able to distinguish between immediate taps and dragging gestures to achieve the controls I wanted.

As for the XBox, I got it in the mail...some time ago, I actually don't remember exactly when hehe. Anyways I've been playing quite a bit of that lately, I had my spurt of gaming at the beginning and now it's under control. :-P I've mainly been playing Forze Motorsport 3 (because I got it for free last year from the Great Canadian Appathon), and some arcade games. It was fun looking through and playing trials of the arcade games because it gave me ideas for the games that I want to make. Oh and Fruit Ninja Kinect...amazing!

Lastly and definitely most importantly, as of Monday July 9th, I will be a full-time permanent employee at THQ!!! I'm too excited to say much more lol

No comments:

Post a Comment