Friday 25 May 2012

Tunnel Flyer Progress

So the collision detection seems to be working, it gets the vertices from the models near the player, constructs the triangles, then uses the collision detection algorithm to determine if there is a collision. I implemented two levels, one where the player is warned that they are near the wall, another when they hit the wall. Unfortunately the latter does not work all that great. I could do something simple and effective if the tunnels were uniformly shaped, but my goal is to have jagged walls and protrusions to make it look like its underground or something. Going to need a decent amount of time to work on it.

I need to improve my algorithm so that it tracks which walls the player is near rather than cycling through every single model. I also tried a simple collision resolution, that didn't go so well either. While I was mulling over how to solve those issues, I tweaked the controls so they feel nicer, also made some simple aesthetic additions, and a simple culling feature so that when I create much larger levels, the game won't be bogged down with drawing the things that aren't in view.

When I feel I need to take a break from this project, I am trying to make myself work on learning Unity rather than resorting to playing games. Kinda working, but I'll be getting more and more focused on work as time goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment